Right now, in the dark and cold season, cold viruses are everywhere. During the current corona pandemic, we also protect ourselves from other pathogens with the applicable hygiene and clearance regulations, but we can still get sick and have a cough.
home remedies for cough
Cough alone is not a disease but a defense reaction of the body to heal again. By contracting the diaphragm and expelling the air at high speed, pathogens can be removed from the airways. However, coughing can be uncomfortable for those affected. These home remedies can provide relief:
- Inhale with sage: Inhalation helps especially with dry cough, as it moistens the mucous membranes. Inhalation with an infusion of sage is particularly suitable, as the sage covers the mucous membrane of the throat and acts as a kind of ointment. It is best to inhale with a mouth-to-nose inhaler, available at the pharmacy. Instead of an inhaler, you can also use a bowl with a towel. In this case you just have to be careful not to burn yourself with hot water.
- onion juice: Onion juice with rock candy is a tried and tested home remedy for coughs. Relieves the urge to cough and calms the bronchi, as onions have an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effect. Simply cut two onions into small pieces and cook the onion pieces with the rock candy over low heat. Let the juice steep for several hours or overnight, then you can take a tablespoon of homemade cough syrup several times a day.
- Treasure: Honey also has an antibacterial effect and also has a calming effect on the bronchi. To relieve a cough, you can take it with warm milk, directly on a spoon or in tea.
- To drink tea: If you have a cough, especially a dry cough, you should drink a lot of tea. This prevents the airways from drying out and promotes the removal of stubborn secretions from the airways. Thyme tea is particularly useful as it has an anti-inflammatory effect and facilitates expectoration. But tea made from sage, fennel, plantain, licorice root, or primroses can also help with coughs.
- Ginger: The super ginger tuber also has an anti-inflammatory and expectorant effect and is therefore suitable for coughs. The pungent substances it contains also support the immune system. They have an effect of improving blood circulation, so that fewer bacteria can settle in the mucous membranes when coughing.
Important: Due to the current situation, if you have cold symptoms and especially cough, you should stay home and contact your family doctor by phone!