Solid hair shampoo: the sustainable alternative
Whether it’s for the sake of the environment or to relieve hair, solid hair shampoos aren’t just on the rise today. In terms of ingredients, a solid shampoo is very similar to conventional liquid shampoo. Only water was removed from the product during production. The basic ingredients are usually a natural surfactant (e.g. coconut or sugar based), nourishing oils and fats, fragrances and dyes.
Danger: There are also solid chemical based shampoos that can damage the scalp over time, so always pay attention to the ingredients!
Also interesting: The importance of the ingredients in a shampoo >>
Ingredients: What belongs to solid shampoo and what doesn’t?
Solid hair shampoos often wash with natural or synthetic foaming surfactants and usually have a slightly acidic pH value. They are therefore suitable for the skin, since there is a The pH value of 5.5 prevails. hair soaps instead they are made up of oils or fats that are boiled with lye. They often have an alkaline pH value.
What belongs / can go in solid shampoo?
- Coconut or sugar surfactants (Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate or Coco Glucoside)
- Oils like avocado, almond oil, or jojoba oil
- shea or cocoa butter
- Fruity additives such as lemon, orange or grapefruit
- Herbal supplements such as nettle, cedar wood, peppermint
What does not belong to solid shampoo?
- Sodium lauryl sulfate
- synthetic polymers
- PEG / PEG derivatives
- Lilial perfume
- artificial fragrances such as musk
How to use solid shampoo
Lather the solid shampoo between wet hands or rub it directly into wet hair several times. The resulting lather can now be massaged into the scalp and hair just like with liquid hair shampoo. Rinse thoroughly afterwards!
After use, keep the solid shampoo dry and, if possible, also out of the shower so that it does not liquefy. You can also store it in a loofah or hang in a small sisal bag.
Pros and cons of solid shampoos
- Solid shampoo is the ideal travel companion – after all, you no longer have to worry about liquid restrictions
- Less packaging waste and less plastic
- Easy to use
- Long lasting because less shampoo is needed when washing
- Sealless products from natural cosmetics also do not contain questionable materials and substances
- also suitable for dry and sensitive skin
- Solid shampoos foam like liquid shampoos
- Less natural ingredients than you might think
- Chemical-based products can damage the scalp
Also interesting: make your own organic shampoo >>
Solid shampoo – these are our favorites
1. Foamie Solid Shampoo: 100% vegan, plastic and silicone free solid shampoo for dry hair provides plenty of hydration and a healthy scalp. About 5 euros.
2. Greendor Shampoo Bar: A solid and environmentally friendly shampoo for daily hair washing. The shampoo takes care of natural ingredients such as organic shea butter, organic coconut oil, organic broccoli seed oil, organic cocoa butter and aloe vera. About 9 euros.
3. Klar Solid Shampoo: Plastic-free and eco-friendly from product to package. It is particularly resistant and free of any animal components. About 12 euros.