Sweating is the most important means of regulating our body’s temperature. Without this feature, we wouldn’t be able to release excess heat. However, the smell that can accompany it is unpleasant for many. A deodorant is therefore an important part of personal hygiene for most people. According to the German online statistics portal, around 16.2 million people use a deodorant several times a day. But have you ever checked the label on the back of your deodorant? Parabens, phthalates, triclosan and aluminum are just some of the ingredients linked to cancer, Alzheimer’s and hormonal imbalances. Many conventional deodorants can not only harm your health, but also pose a major environmental problem due to the chemicals and plastic packaging they contain.
Most deodorants, on the other hand, offer a natural and more sustainable alternative. They are often characterized by maximum skin compatibility, do without questionable ingredients and work for several hours. We have put together the four best deodorant creams for you.
Deocremi: these are our favorites
- Deodorant cream by BEN & ANNA: The vegan and animal-free deodorant cream of the BEN & ANNA brand protects against humidity and odors and, thanks to the resealable packaging, is a practical travel companion and in everyday life. About 5 euros
- GREENDOR Deodorant Cream: This GREENDOR deodorant does not sting, does not irritate, is allergen free and has a delicate fragrance. The bin is made from 100% post-consumer recycled plastic sourced from coastal collections. About 8 euros
- Lavera Deodorant Cream: The active composition with organic ginseng and natural minerals is said to prevent the growth of odor-causing bacteria and thus prevent the development of sweat odor for 48 hours, even during physical activity. About 5 euros
- Jean & Len Deodorant Cream: Jean & Len Deodorant Cream also does without many ingredients such as parabens, silicones and animal ingredients. Coconut oil and carnauba wax nourish and protect the sensitive skin in the armpits, while lemongrass and coriander oil have a wonderfully fresh scent. About 6 euros
The benefits of sustainable deodorants
1. No chemicals
The biggest advantage of a natural deodorant is that it does not contain any harmful or artificial chemicals. Unlike many commercial deodorants, it does not contain aluminum or alcohol. Aluminum is usually added to reduce sweat production. However, the light metal can clog pores and prevent the body from detoxifying through sweating. Suppressing the body’s natural functions is never a good idea, even though it may soon make you sweat less. The products we use on our skin can enter our body and, in the case of aluminum, have negative effects on the kidneys, bones and nerves. Although deodorants do not prevent sweat production, they can effectively protect against body odors thanks to their essential oils and antibacterial properties.
2. Suitable for sensitive skin
Have you ever had a rash or pimples after using deodorant? If you have sensitive skin or suffer from allergies, natural deodorants are a good alternative. A study published in the scientific journal Contact Dermatitis concluded that deodorants are the main cause of allergic reactions related to fragrances. The German Association for Allergy and Asthma also confirms that fragrances are the second most common trigger of contact allergies after nickel.
Many deodorants do not use synthetic fragrances. To do this, you rely on responsible and natural ingredients such as shea butter, coconut oil and jojoba or aloe vera, which take care of sensitive skin without irritating it. The sodium bicarbonate it contains is responsible for neutralizing odors. Furthermore, producers of sustainable products often do without alcohol. The application is therefore particularly delicate, even after shaving.
Also interesting: the right care for sensitive skin
3. Eco-friendly packaging and ingredients
Synthetic fragrances are not only irritating to the skin, but also a major problem for the environment. Often they cannot be broken down in purification plants and therefore accumulate in the environment, in animals and in humans. Natural deodorants, on the other hand, use organic ingredients that do not pollute the environment.
Additionally, most deodorant packaging is completely plastic-free and can often be purchased in jars or other plastic-free containers that can be easily recycled after use. In addition, unlike spray deodorants, they are free of greenhouse gases and do not contain microplastics, palm oil or petroleum. Another plus: deodorant creams are significantly cheaper than traditional spray or roll-on products because they are used sparingly. Often a fingertip is enough for a pea-sized amount.
Also Interesting: Solid Shampoos: How Good Is Sustainable Hair Care?
Sources: apotheken-umschau.de, daab.de, swrfernsehen.de, utopia.de, stern.de